Monday, September 1, 2008

world is moving to fast

My response to the fischbowl video was one of uncertainty and dismay. How can we possibly train students for jobs that don't exist? Do we train them in a generalized field and wish them luck? With the world moving so fast how do I know that the information I give my students won't be obsolete and useless by the time they get a job? What do I do with a computer that exceeds the power of my brain? Visions of the Matrix flashed in my head. But then again as long as we can unplug the computer it won't harvest us for energy. Right?
There are some advantages to fast moving technology though; computers can be made cheaply. As the video clip suggests students in third world countries who have never even seen a text book could have Internet access. However look at were the buy a laptop/give a laptop programs are in place: US, India, China,and the most industrialized and wealthy among us. Due to the capitalist nature of these countries the more pessimistic and dominate side of me doubts the availability of computers in third world counties. It is said that our generation has the ability to end poverty in the world. And I believe them, but will we? Or will we use the available and fast moving technology to socialize with other industrial zed counties and leave the others behind and widen the gap between wealth distribution? I don't know.

No comments: