Sunday, October 19, 2008

Teachers' Domain

The videos I found were by a series called teachers' Domain. I saw two videos explaining how a lunar eclipse worked.

The first video was "why doesn't the moon fall". This video explains the gravitational pull of the earth on the moon. This one will be better if shown before the eclipse lesson to give an introductory explanation about how the moon moves in space. I would use this as an attention getter.

The second video "total solar eclipse animation" I would show as an attention getter at the beginning of the lesson. The video explains how an eclipse is the shadow of the moon on the earth, it also explains the corona and how every body can't witness the same eclipse.
I as the teacher would elaborate on whats happening, but the video helps as it shows the angle of the shadows and depicts the earth, moon and sun in space.

Although these videos do a good job explaining the mechanics I would still show the students a real eclipse like this one.

This way it becomes more real to them. The other videos presented sterile environments, as appose to real life environments.

No comments: