Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wii as an educational tool-Project 7

link from the legend of zelda swinging a sward
I was looking online and I found a blog on using the Wii music to learn. I was so excited.The blogger was Mrs Kimberly McCollum, who is a PhD student of Psychology and Technology at Brigham University. I carried on a conversation about video games as an education tool.

We have agreed on the fact that one of the most important element is presentation. If that goes wrong then the students will not make the connection between the game and class content.
Mrs. McCollum also brought up the fact that if a poor connection in made between the game and class the teachers authority suffers. You become the "nice" teacher who won't make us do work.
She also mentioned that many constructivist theories of education have a smiler problem.

Constructivism basically stats that knowledge is not just waiting out there in space for us to acquire, but the only knowledge we have is that which we construct ourselves. (Mainly through exposure and experience)

So as a teacher if I introduce video games I would have to do so in a way my students can construct for themselves and outcome. In order to do that my students have to see the connection between the video game and the skills in the lesson.

For example if I wanted to use the Legend of Zelda to encourage problem solving skills. I would talk to the class about problem solving and go over different strategies. I may give a practice assignment at this point. I would only at this point allow my students to play a specific portion of the Legend of Zelda game to illustrate the lesson. As a class we would discuss the different strategies used. It would be prudent at this point to have each student write a reflection on there problem solving technique and those of others and what they could have done differently.


No comments: